These mozzarella stuffed meatballs are a fun twist on the classic recipe - serve these meatballs as a party appetizer or over a big plate of spaghetti for a hearty meal!
- 1 and ½ pounds ground beef (85-90% lean)
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons water
- 6 ounces mozzarella cheese, cut into ½ inch cubes
- ⅓ cup breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups marinara sauce (homemade or store bought), warmed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- cooking spray
- Preheat the broiler. Line a sheet pan with foil and coat the foil with cooking spray.
- Place the beef, breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, garlic powder, oregano, egg and water in a bowl; mix until thoroughly combined. You may need to add more water, 1 tablespoon at a time, to get a smooth mixture.
- Take approximately 2 tablespoons of the meat mixture and roll it into a ball. Press a cube of cheese into the ball of meat, making sure that the meat completely surrounds the cheese. Place the meatball on the sheet pan and repeat with remaining meat and cheese.