This cheesy Slow Cooker Chicken, Broccoli and Rice Casserole takes just minutes of prep, thanks to your crock pot! It is one of my favorite crock pot recipes for quick family dinners!
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 cup long grain brown rice rinsed and drained (do NOT substitute white rice or any other type of rice)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 pound broccoli cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt optional, for extra creaminess
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Place onion, brown rice, Dijon mustard, garlic powder, dried thyme, salt and pepper in bottom of slow cooker.
- Pour in broth and stir until well combined.
- Add chicken to the slow cooker. Sprinkle chicken with additional black pepper.
- Cover and cook on high for 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hours, until chicken is cooked through and rice has absorbed almost all of the broth. In my slow cooker this took 3 hours on high.
- When the slow cooking time is almost finished, cook the broccoli. You can steam it on the stove or in the microwave, or roast it in your oven. (It is also possible to cook the broccoli in the slow cooker by adding it on top of the rice and chicken during the last hour of cook time. If you slow cook the broccoli it will lose its vibrant green color. I get best results when I steam the broccoli on the stove.)
You can find complete recipes click here!