Hands down, this Beef Tips & Gravy over Cauliflower Mash recipe is by far my new favorite recipe of ALL TIME. I live for comfort food and this meal makes me feel all warm and cozy inside. With this meal, I have to control myself because you will find me creeping in the kitchen for seconds and thirds. Creating delicious meals that serve my family in a healthy way is what I live for! When my husband looks at me and says, “Babe this is a flipping WINNER DINNER!” I feel so so good inside, almost like I am nailing this whole wife and mom thing, haha. The best part about this recipe is I have developed it for the stove and instant pot!
Savory tender beef sirloin tips drenched with brown gravy and served over cauliflower mash. This meal is not only delicious, but it is also Keto, Whole30 and Paleo compliant.
- 2 pounds cubed beef stew meat or sirloin tips
- 1/4 tsp salt
- pinch of pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 1/2 tsp ghee
- 2 tbsp tapioca flour dissolved in 2 tbsp water (for Keto, sub Almond flour)
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt add more to taste if needed
- 2 bags cauliflower rice boiled
- 1 tbsp chives fresh or dry
- 2 tbsp coconut milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ghee
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp pepper add more to taste if needed
Sirloin Tips & Gravy:
- In a large skillet heat oil over high heat. Add the meat and a little salt and pepper and cook on high heat until meat is browned on all sides; about 5 minutes.
- Pour 2 cups beef broth over the meat and drippings and bring to a boil then reduce heat. Add dissolved tapioca flour, ghee, garlic powder, salt and pepper to the beef broth. (The broth will not thicken automatically, it will thicken as it heats up and simmers.
- Mix thoroughly and stir into the meat. Simmer until the meat is tender and the gravy is thick. (The longer it simmers, the more tender the meat. I recommend simmering on low with lid for an additional 30 minutes or longer).
- Bring 1 head of cauliflower chopped or 2 bags of cauliflower rice to a boil, about 10 minutes.
- Drain liquid from the cauliflower and add to the food processor with garlic powder, chives, ghee, coconut milk, salt and pepper.
- Blend together until smooth and top with fresh chives. Make sure NOT over blend or it will turn into a soupy puree.
- Add Cauliflower mash to a plate and top with beef tips along with creamy gravy. Garnsih with fresh or dried parsley
Instant Pot Version:
- Turn on the Instant Pot and set to sauté and allow time to heat up
- Add 1 tbsp olive oil and place the steak pieces in. Cook until the outside of the steak is browned.
- Before adding in the gravy ingredients, turn the settings on the instant pot to high pressure. Once this setting is on, add all ingredients for the gravy. Make sure to add the tapioca flour last, dissolved in water first. It will mix evenly this way. Once it heats up, the gravy should thicken.
- Lock the lid making sure the top vent is sealed. Cook on high pressure for 10 minutes. If the broth is not thick enough after pressure cooking, add a 1/2 tbsp MORE tapioca flour and turn onto "Sauté" mode and bring to a boil.
- I usually use natural release, but it's fine if you do quick release if you are in a hurry. I find that the steak is a little more tender with the natural release.
- Brown the beef tips over medium/high heat with 1 tbsp of olive oil. Remove and add meat to crockpot.
- Throw all the ingredients EXCEPT the tapioca flour in the crockpot (Using an additional 1 cup of broth for this version)
- Cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 5-7 hours.
- 15 minutes before serving, dissolve the 2 tbsp of tapioca flour in 2 tbsp of water and add to the crockpot. Mix in completely and stir until it begins to thicken. Cook on low 15 additional minutes. (If you want it a little thicker, you may need to add 1/2 tbsp MORE tapioca flour)