Despite their name, these Grinch Cookies are just about as festive and holiday-friendly as can be! These soft and chewy cookies are colored Grinch-green and decorated with milk chocolate candy pieces
These cookies are definitely a little… different looking from the classics. With their Grinch-y green hue and their red and green candy decorations, you’re not going to confuse them with your run-of-the-mill cookies, and you’re definitely not going to forget them
These cookies will need to chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes to keep them from spreading too thin while they bake in the oven. If needed you can chill them overnight or longer, these are great for making ahead, and the dough freezes well, too (just make sure that you scoop it into balls before freezing!).
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3-5 drops bright green food coloring*
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cup red and green M&Ms plus additional 1/2 cup for topping cookies, if desired
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons corn starch
- Combine butter and sugar in a large bowl and use an electric mixer to beat until well-combined and light and fluffy (about 1 minute).
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Stir in vanilla extract and food coloring, until well-combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Set mixer to low speed and gradually stir dry ingredients into butter mixture. Add ingredients and stir until well-incorporated.
- Fold in M&M candies and cover bowl with plastic wrap. Chill in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Once dough has finished chilling, preheat oven to 350F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper
- Drop cookie dough by heaping 1 1/2 Tbsp-sized scoops onto prepared cookie sheets, for perfectly round cookies roll dough in your hands into a smooth ball.
- Bake on 350F for 11-13 minutes. If desired, gently press additional M&Ms into the tops of each cookie for decoration while they are still warm.
- Allow cookies to cool completely on cookie sheet before removing.