There’s just something about the flavor of pecan that’s great around the holidays, or any time of year for that matter. Likewise, sugar cookies are always a go-to for holiday baking. This is why we’re making pecan thumbprint sugar cookies! Yes, we’re baking thumbprint sugar cookies with a homemade, easy pecan pie filling – delish!
No matter which way the cookie crumbles, you’ll love these pecan thumbprint cookies with pecan pie filling. They’re easy to make and will please the whole family. Let’s get to it and make a big batch of delicious pecan thumbprint sugar cookies!
- 3 tbs butter
- 3 tbs honey
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup pecans finely chopped
- 1/2 cup sugar + sugar for rolling the dough in
- 1 and 1/3 cup flour
- 10 tbs 1 stick + 2tbs butter, softened to room temp
- Combine butter, brown sugar and honey in a sauce pan over medium heat, stirring occasionally until you've just reach a boil.
- Remove the pan from the heat, stir in the pecans and set aside to cool while you prepare your cookies.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees; prepare baking sheet
- In a bowl, beat sugar and butter until well incorporated
- Add flour and continue beating until well mixed; dough will be crumbly do not over mix
- Knead dough with your fingers into 1 inch balls, roll them in sugar, then shape them into disks. Press your finger into the middle of the dough to make a well, almost to the bottom of the cookie
- Place cookies on prepared baking sheet, about 1 to 2 inches apart
- Bake for 8 minutes, remove from oven
- Re-press wells if needed; drop 1/4 tsp of pecan pie filling in each cookie, do not overfill
- Return to oven and bake for an additional 4 to 6 minutes; total bake time 12-14 minutes
- Cookies are done when they have a dry appearance, cookies do not brown
- Cool cookies for 5 minutes on baking sheet, move to cooling rack; serve