I had no intentions of making this raw chard ribbon salad a “Christmas Tree” Salad. It was just going to be a holiday salad. Until I piled it into my bowl and watched as it formed a peaked tower that resembled a decked out holiday tree.
Complete with shiny red pomegranate “lights” – glossy grape bulbs – twinkly satsuma ornaments – and then, of course, I needed a star on top.
- 1 bunch swiss chard, chopped
- 2 Tbsp dried cranberries , optional
- 1 small apple, chopped
- 3/4 cup red grapes, sliced
- 1/3 cup pomegranate seeds
- 2 mandarin oranges, peeled and sliced in half, segments separated
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1/2 cup pecans, chopped
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/8 tsp coriander
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- a few pinches of orange zest
- pinch of cayenne
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 slice toast, sliced into a star
- Simply prep all your ingredients and toss them with the dressing/spices in a large bowl. Toss and mix very well since this will help to distribute the flavors and infuse the chard with flavor.
- You can serve right away or chill in the fridge for up to 12 hours in advance before serving. Any longer and your chard will begin to get a bit soft. Serve raw and chilled. Top it! For the “star” tree topper, simply toast any slice of bread and using either your knife (free-hand) or a star-shaped cookie cutter, cut out a toast star to top the tree salad.