A thick, creamy, and perfectly-spiced hot breakfast could not be easier than this Gingerbread Slow Cooker Oatmeal! Whether you serve it for Christmas brunch or make a big batch to reheat for busy weekday mornings, Crock Pot oatmeal is a healthy and delicious way to start your day!
This gingerbread oatmeal is full of seasonal spices, but it’s not very sweet. I use a little bit of molasses for color and flavor, but if you like your oatmeal on the sweeter side (who doesn’t, really?!), you should definitely plan to have some warm maple syrup or brown sugar on hand for drizzling.
- 2 cups uncooked steel cut oats don’t use quick-cooking or old-fashioned rolled oats because they will get too mushy
- ½ teaspoon cloves
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- 8 cups water
- ½ teaspoon salt or more, to taste
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- ¼ cup molasses can substitute with maple syrup, but it won’t have that true “gingerbread” taste, plus more for serving
- Optional toppings: whipped cream chopped toasted pecans, dried cranberries, raisins, Greek yogurt
- Spray the inside of a 6-quart slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Combine all ingredients in slow cooker and stir well. Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 8 hours, stirring occasionally.