A meatless version of a classic British/Irish dish. The rich mushroom gravy with vegetables is topped with fluffy mashed potatoes and baked.
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 celery stalk chopped
- 5 medium carrots chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 12 oz. mushrooms washed and sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1.25 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2.5 cups mashed potatoes
- Butter a 2qt baking dish. Place on large baking sheet (this prevents the dish from overflowing onto your oven bottom).
- Heat up olive oil in large skillet. Add chopped onion, carrots and celery. Cook until onion is translucent and carrots are tender, about 5 minutes. Stir often. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add fresh thyme, sliced mushrooms and garlic and saute until fragrant.
- In a measuring cup, whisk together vegetable stock and cornstarch. Add tomato sauce and Worcestershire sauce and whisk. Add mixture to vegetables in skillet. Bring to boil, let simmer until thickens.
- Pour mixture into prepared baking dish. Add 1 cup frozen peas and stir in.
- Top with mashed potatoes, spreading them evenly.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 15 minutes, or until bubbly at the edge.
- Let cook for 10 minutes before serving.
I use my Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes recipe for the best mashed potatoes.
For a low-carb version, use my Mashed Cauliflower instead of the potatoes.