Make your own low carb pizza pockets with this delicious Keto Calzone recipe! Load them up with your favourite pizza toppings and take them for lunch to-go!
- ⅛ tsp garlic powder
- ¾ tsp spicy spaghetti seasoning or Italian seasoning
- 3 tbsp water
- 1 ½ cups almond flour
- ½ tsp xanthan gum
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 ¼ cup mozzarella
- 80 grams thick sliced pepperoni sausage
- ¼ cup pizza sauce
- see post above for other filling ideas
- Heat oven to 375° and line a baking sheet with a non stick baking mat. Shred the mozzarella and dice up the meat and/or veggies into small cubes, then combine with the mozza and mix well.
- In a medium bowl combine the almond flour, xanthan gum, garlic powder and spicy spaghetti. Whisk until fully mixed then add the water and olive oil. Knead the dough until the almond flour has been completely worked in, then divide into four.
- Place one of the balls of dough into the center of a piece of wax paper. Cover with another piece of wax then roll the dough out into a circle. Remove the paper and cut the dough into a perfect circle. You can patch the dough, re-roll and cut again into a perfect circle. It should be between 6-7" in diameter.
- If the wax paper sticks to dough, the wax paper can be sprayed with avocado or olive oil spray.
- Spread 1 tbsp Pizza Sauce around the circle; leave about 1/2" from the edge all the way around. Place 1/3 cup of the meat/cheese mix onto half of the circle; make sure it doesn't spread past the pizza sauce onto the outer edge and only cover half of the circle.
- Fold the wax paper with the empty side of the circle right over so that the edges of the calzone perfectly match. Pinch the edges together, remove the top wax paper and fold up the dough edge, just once, to form a solid crust.
- Remove the bottom wax paper to free the calzone and place onto the prepared baking sheet. Continue with the other three. Bake at 375° for 13-15 minutes until the edges start to brown.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
- Whatever fillings you choose, make sure to dice the ingredients up nice and small. This will make working with the calzones easier.
- Do not over fill them, no matter how tempting that may be! They could burst open while baking, so would no longer be hot pockets, but empty pockets.
- Reheat these beauties easily in the microwave or oven.