This is a recipe that I’ve been making for over ten years. And since I had no clue how to cook ten years ago, I’m going to come right out and say that I did not come up with the original recipe. It was created by my hero in the kitchen, Rachael Ray.
Rachael basically taught me how to cook. After graduating from college, my friends and I would make a point to get together every Wednesday night for dinner. We would take turns at each other’s houses and the one hosting that week would be in charge of cooking. The rest of us would bring the wine. Admittedly back in those days, we drank our fair share of “Two Buck Chuck.”
Crispy Pretzel Crusted Chicken with Cheddar-Mustard Sauce is an easy delicious dinner that will be on your table in 30 minutes!
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley leaves a generous handful, chopped
- 1/4 small red onion finely chopped
- 1 5-ounce bag salted pretzels
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 2 Tablespoons whole grain mustard
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 eggs
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Butterfly each of the chicken breasts, making a total of 4 thin chicken breasts. Then flatten with a mallet so that they are uniform in thickness, about 1/4".
- Put the pretzels in a food processor and grind until fine. Put the crumbs in a shallow dish. Combine with paprika and season with salt and pepper. In another shallow dish, beat the eggs with a splash of water.
- Preheat a large non-stick skillet with a 1/4-inch of vegetable oil over medium-high heat.
- One at a time, coat each chicken breast in the egg and then the ground pretzels.
- Add the pretzel-coated chicken breasts to the hot oil. Cook in a single layer, in 2 batches if necessary, about 3 or 4 minutes on each side, until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce. In a saucepan, melt the butter. Whisk in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Whisk in the milk and cook until slightly thickened, 3-5 minutes. Stir in the cheese, mustard, paprika and cayenne. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve chicken breasts with a drizzle of cheddar-mustard sauce and a sprinkle of parsley and red onion.