Vegetable Biryani is a bold and flavorful Indian rice dish with bell peppers, peas, carrots and potatoes in a spiced rice dish made with turmeric, garam masala and other warm spices.
We’re working through a list of our favorite Indian recipes including Indian Butter Chicken and Easy Chicken Tikka Masala and it felt only right the next recipe shared would be a biryani dish which is amazing served with Cucumber Raita.
- 1 roma tomato minced finely
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup peas
- 1 yellow onion cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 russet potatoes peeled and chopped
- 1 green bell pepper sliced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or ghee if available
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups basmati rice rinsed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger minced
- 2 stalks celery thinly sliced
- 1 cup cauliflower florets
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 carrot sliced into thin coins
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cumin
Note: click on times in the instructions to start a kitchen timer while cooking.
- Add olive oil in a large dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion, and cook until translucent, about 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in garlic, ginger, tomatoes, and 1/2 cup water.
- Bring to a simmer, and cook until the water has evaporated, about 10 minutes.
- Add in the peas, carrot, potato, bell pepper, celery and cauliflower and stir well.
- Add in the salt, cayenne, black pepper, garam masala, turmeric, cumin and cinnamon, stirring well.
- Add in the vegetable broth and bring to a boil.
- Rinse basmati rice.
- Add in the basmati rice, reduce to low heat and cook (covered) for 18-20 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and let sit, covered, for five minutes before opening and serving.