Homemade Tomato Soup is made with fresh tomatoes and just a handful of other wholesome ingredients. You’ll never want canned tomato soup again!
This delicious soup is made with fresh tomatoes and can be eaten hot or cold!
- 1 ounce (1/4 cup) All Purpose Flour regular or gluten-free
- 1 cup Milk
- 1 cup Water
- 4 pounds large Tomatoes chopped
- Kosher Salt to taste
- Black Pepper to taste
- ¼ cup Tomato Puree tomato paste may be substituted for a stronger flavor
- 1 small Yellow Onion chopped
- 1 ounce (2 tablespoons) Unsalted Butter
- In a large, heavy Dutch oven or stock pot, melt the butter over medium-low heat.
- Add the onions can sauté for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the flour to coat the onions. Reduce heat to low.
- Gradually pour in the milk and water; stir or whisk constantly to combine and allow the mixture to thicken (2-3 minutes).
- Add the tomato puree and chopped tomatoes to the pot and stir to combine.
- With the heat on low, allow the mixture to simmer until the onions are cooked and the tomatoes are soft (approximately 30 minutes).
- When the soup is finished cooking it can be served as is. For a smoother texture process in batches through a conventional blender or use an immersion (stick) blender for desired texture.