This Sweet + Spicy Cauliflower Bites + Maple Pecan Waffles recipe is EVERYTHING! This dish is anything but short of flavor, the waffles are fluffy, thick, and airy and the cauliflower bites comes bursting with sweet + spicy flavors from the honey-hot sauce mixture. Super easy to make and completely dairy-free. The perfect breakfast, brunch, or Mother's Day meal for the entire family. Vegan option available.
- 1 head of organic Cauliflower, chopped in large chunks
- 1 1/4 cups fresh water
- 3/4 cup organic all-purpose flour (I use Bob's Red Mill)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 cups bread crumbs (See Notes!)
- 1/2 cup hot sauce (I use Frank's Original)
- 2 cups organic honey (I use Wholesome Sweets; See Notes for Vegan option!)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp dried parsley
Maple Pecan Waffles:
- 2 1/2 cups organic all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
- 3 Tbsps vegetable oil (See Notes!)
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup Toasted chopped pecans (See Post for Instructions!)
- 1 1/2 Tbsps baking powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 cups Almond milk (I use Califia Farms; You can use your fave plant-based milk!)
- 1 1/2 Tbsps apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup + more if desired! (I use Coombs Family Farms; See Notes!)
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit and prepare your baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Then in a medium bowl, add water, flour, sea salt, black pepper, smoked paprika, dried parsley, and garlic powder and whisk together until fully combined. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, add bread crumbs and also set aside.
- Now dip each cauliflower into batter (shaking off any excess) and then toss into bread crumbs. Then lay each cauliflower side by side on the baking sheet (about an inch apart). Repeat until all cauliflower are coated. **NOTE: Be sure to SHAKE OFF any excess coating.**
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown and "crunchy" looking. **NOTE: Be sure to flip each cauliflower on opposite side half way through baking time**
- In the meantime, combine the honey, and hot sauce in a medium pot (on medium-high heat) and let it simmer for 2-3 minutes until bubbly. Reduce heat to low and add thickener (arrowroot or starch + water mixture), whisking until well combined and sauce becomes thick.
- Once cauliflower bites are nice and crispy, remove from oven and let cool slightly for 5 minutes.
- Toss them GENTLY into the sauce until fully coated. Add coated cauliflower back to baking sheet and place them back in the oven (turning oven on broil) for about 5-6 minutes.
- Once sauce has thickened and appears to be 'sticky' unto the bites, remove from oven and set aside.
Maple Pecan Waffles:
- Preheat your waffle maker to desired setting–medium-high heat worked for me!
- In a large bowl, whisk together the organic all-purpose flour, cinnamon, baking powder, and sea salt.
- Add the oil, Almond milk, vanilla extract, maple syrup, and apple cider vinegar in the center of the dry mixture (after creating a well) and stir everything together well (using a spatula) until fully incorporated. Add the toasted pecans and stir again. Now, let the batter sit for 2-3 minutes while it slightly thickens and rises, which means that the ingredients have activated.
- Next, spoon batter into your waffle maker (1/4 cup approximately) and cook according to your waffle iron’s instructions.
- Once each waffle completes, add to a baking sheet and place them in the oven on the lowest setting (to keep them warm). Repeat until all waffles are made.
- To serve–stack waffles (whole or cut), top with cauliflower bites, sliced strawberries (if desired) and drizzle with maple syrup.
- Bon Appetit!